Saturday, May 24, 2014

Respect the Fight

Good Morning,
 
No, this is not a typical message. Many of you in the United States are celebrating this Memorial holiday weekend with cookouts, vacations and pool visits. But I challenge you this weekend to respect the fight. Many men and women have lost their lives, limbs or even peace of mind fighting in wars. Some have fought wars and served this country though they may not have always been respected as citizens in this country. Both my biological parents served in the U.S. military and I respect their service to this country. I have aunts, uncles, cousins and a late grandmother who willingly served this country. Some are buried on military soil. I respect high school/college friends and acquaintances who have served this country. I respect every man and woman who has served this country past and present. When I was in college one year, I made arrangements with one of my high school friends to visit her on the island where she was stationed. I never told her how proud I was of her for serving for a country that she wasn't even born in but became her home. Another high school bestie of mine became a U.S. citizen so that he could serve in the military. I respected the fight. When I was in college, I was encouraged by both my mom and aunt to take the test for the Air Force upon graduation to go in as an officer. I did not succumb to the encouragement because I grew up hearing their stories and was convinced I could not stomach what they endured. But I respected the fight. Many people do not understand that the remaining spouse and children make a sacrifice as well. Respect the fight.
 
Whenever I see a soldier I greet them with a smile and say, "Thank you for your service." I do that because many of them do not hear thank you where they are sent, especially if in a war zone. I challenge you from this day forward, to greet and thank every U.S. soldier you meet. You may not agree with the war they may have had to fight, but at least respect the fight and their willingness to die or lose limbs if necessary to save the lives of others. You can always have a cookout, a vacation or swim, but a life is precious. One who is willing to lose it so others might live and enjoy freedoms is to be respected.

No comments:

Post a Comment