Wednesday, October 9, 2013

The Victory Song

Matthew 27:46

46And about the ninth hour Jesus cried out with a loud voice, saying, "Eli, Eli lama sabachthani?" That is, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?"

When I first understood these words to be part of the "last seven words" of Jesus on the cross, I thought, "how awful!" Oh But I thank God for His revelatory word!! Before I get into why it doesn't mean what the average person thinks, I have a background of how God gave me the revelation.

Many of you know I lost my late dad a little more than 8yrs ago. We lost him to complications from a hereditary brain aneurysm. The same crippling head trauma would also hit my stepbrother within two years but Praise God he has survived two brain surgeries since! The entire year prior to my late dad's death, he was unknowingly preparing my mom. Within that time he told her his favorite Psalm, which translates to song, and he said he would want it recited at his memorial. His favorite was Psalm 23. Well my favorite is Psalm 27. When you read it, you will understand why. It the Psalm I would want recited at my memorial whenever that day comes whether it be days or decades away. For It is a Psalm of faith.


Remember, Jesus prepared the disciples for His death long before that time arrived. God revealed to me through tears in these wee hours that Jesus recited his victory Psalm, Psalm 22 before His last breath during that excruciating time. Many wonder how could those words be words of victory right? Jesus said himself that He came as the fulfillment of the Law that exists in the Old Testament. So often, Jesus taught and lived the law but He did so with love and taught with love and in a new way from the traditional teachers and those in high ranking, the Pharisees. But if you read Psalm 22, it is a Psalm of suffering praise and victory. The Psalm was written by his earthly lineage, King David. David wrote the Psalm about triumphant faith even in the face of suffering. When many who stood around Jesus on the cross heard Him call "Eli, Eli..., "they assumed He was calling the prophet Elijah but they were not aware of one of the names of God which is Jehovah Eli, which means Lord my God. Jesus was reciting Psalm 22 because His faith made Him triumphant for you and I and over the enemy of our souls. His faith and love for God led Him to suffer with each nail in His hand, feet and the thorns in His head. His faith made Him triumphant so that you and I could have everlasting life and God's promise to King David that his line would sit on the throne forever. So the next time you come across Jesus' last words, do not think or believe He spoke them in pity but understand He spoke victory. He was reciting His victory song.

No comments:

Post a Comment