Monday, August 18, 2014

You Have a Future

Jeremiah 29:11
 
11For I know the thoughts that I think toward you, says the Lord, thoughts of peace and not of evil, to give a future and a hope.
 
Jeremiah the prophet had written a letter to the captives in Babylon. His letter was to reassure them that God had not forgotten about them and that they would not be left in Babylon forever. If you recall, the people of Israel had been taken captive by the Babylonians for 70years. God's message to the people of Israel was their captivity would not be long lived. God still had a plan for them if they were willing to seek Him.
 
Last week, someone asked me a question. "How did you come into your purpose?"  My answer was the truth. I unfortunately had a near death experience first and within a year, God spoke to me about writing and it all unfolded. The person didn't believe it and thought what the doctors told me was just them making it up. But the threat of death was indeed real. "Yay though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death." That's where I was. But Bless God because He was with me! Do I want anyone else to find their purpose that way? Of course not! But, I didn't understand at the time that it was also a "dying of self" taking place. Learning to listen and obey God's instructions in such a life or death situation was the beginning of transformation. Now, I'm not scared like I was then because I know now I'm on the right the path. But up until that point, like the people of Israel, I sought my own way and ignored God's instructions MOST of the time. So did the people of Israel, and for it, they were in captivity. My pastor preached on this topic of God's way vs. your way. What is captivity? Merriam-Webster's Dictionary defines captivity as 1) to be made prisoner esp. in war; 2) kept within bounds; 3)held under control.  Do you understand that the sin in your life is captivity? It may seem like "fun" but it hinders your growth in Him. And even hinders you understanding who you are in Him which will lead you to your purpose (why you are here). How can you become "a new creature" as the Word of God says when you are still stuck in the old ways and mindset? "The renewing of your mind" requires that you shed the old you. The Lord has thoughts of peace, hope and a future for you. But how can you grasp hold of them if you are held captive by your own thoughts and actions? His name is J-E-S-U-S! He already paid the price for the remission or forgiveness of your sins. Jesus freed you from Babylon and captivity. You just have to grab hold of it so He can walk you into freedom, victory and purpose. You are no accident in God's eyes. You have a future.

No comments:

Post a Comment