Thursday, August 7, 2014

Life Changing

Luke 5:11
 
11So when they had brought there boats to land, they forsook all and followed Him.
 
Jesus had just demonstrated the miracle of casting the net and catching fish after a night of the fishermen failing to catch at all. It was a life changing moment for Peter and the sons of Zebedee that made them want to leave their old lives behind and follow Jesus. I don't know what your life changing moment was but Jesus has done many miracles in my life and at each great encounter with Jesus, I left more of my old life behind. It's like a growth spurt. The growth spurts have been so dramatic over they years that for some people, it's hard for them to believe who I once was unless they actually knew me then. This weekend I watched the film, Son of God  and I cried so much my eyes were slightly swollen the next morning. Though the film is not 100% aligned with all that happened during Jesus' earthly ministry, it was enough as long as you knew the Word of God for yourself. There was a point where Jesus had knelt down to comfort the woman who was caught in sin and about to be stoned. When He said to her, "Go and sin no more," I cried, as I did with much of the film. At the point that Jesus forgives you for things you know the world wouldn't, the understanding is that you leave that part of your life behind. You leave who you were then, and let the mercy and loving kindness of Jesus stay with you so much so that you don't want to go back to who you were. Looking back, I don't miss who I was. But I love who I am now because I know it was not by my own might but by the Power of God and the Love of Jesus that I have come this far. I ask through tears of gratefulness this morning, has Jesus demonstrated who He is to you to the point that you are ready to leave your old ways behind? Has He made such a life changing impact like He did with the disciples that you are willing to walk away from what you know?

No comments:

Post a Comment