Thursday, June 12, 2014

Remember the Greatest Father

Romans 8:15-16
 
15For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, "Abba, Father." 16The Spirit Himself bears witness with our spirit that we are children of God,
 
 
Father's Day is this coming Sunday and many people, whose fathers are still on earth, are buying gifts or sending cards. For those whose fathers are no longer with them or those who did not know their earthly fathers, you still have a father. His name is Abba. He is the one who wakes you up every morning.
 
All week, my mind has been returning to my college days when I took my first international trip. The trip was to the United Kingdom. My friend and former co-worker, Kate, had invited myself and her former roommate. Kate was an exchange student. I remember we were at work on campus during a summer prior. I was thinking of where I wanted to go the following year and she invited me to England. I spent months planning. And both my biological father and my now late stepfather chipped in with my earnings and my mom's gift. Both fathers were happy for me. My stepfather was so giddy with excitement that he wished he was able to do more. My biological father, being the researcher, discovered the recent bombing and was a little concerned about what airport I would arrive at. Kate had told us the best airport. It was Abba that ensured our safety in flight and on the five hour train ride to the countryside. It was Abba that recalled my secret desire to visit Edinburgh, Scotland from a European Travel program on MPT/PBS. He remembered and a year to the very month that I viewed the program, I was there. I had no idea that accepting my friend's invitation would lead me not only to experience a lovely time with her and her family, discovering how much my facial features really are Irish but seeing many beautiful English cities and townships and a Scottish one I was fascinated by on television.
 
What does all of that have to do with Father's Day? Everything!! Fathers played a role but the greatest Father that we forget is with us everyday and knows our every need and want. He is Jehovah Jireh, the God who provides. He is Jehovah Rapha, the God who heals. He is Jehovah Shalom, the God our peace. He is Jehovah Roi, the God who sees. Remember to say Happy Father's Day to the one who never leaves you nor forsakes you, even after your natural parents, stepparents, adopted parents or godparents are gone. Abba is always there.
 
P.S. HAPPY EARLY FATHER'S DAY to all fathers and father figures!

No comments:

Post a Comment