Friday, November 18, 2011

Turn It Over

Psalm 39:1
1I said, "I will watch my ways and keep my tongue from sin;
I will put a muzzle on my mouth as long as the wicked are in my presence."

David suffered for his sins but he also knew how to ask the Lord for forgiveness. When David backslid or was disobedient to the Lord, the Lord taught him through sickness and pain to reach out for Him. David was of course also before his enemies. His response to them was to keep quiet so they wouldn't catch wind of his tongue. There are times when we must be quiet. No matter how easy it may be to speak, if God has declared we must be quiet, then we must. David instead turned his attention to the Lord when he could no longer contain his anger. Only the Lord could fully address his pain and only the Lord could calm the anguish he felt for his enemies. Do we know when to keep quiet? Do we know when it doesn't pay to open our mouth in the presence of our enemies? When we are facing the level of anguish that David was feeling, we ought simply to turn it over to the one who can take it away. Lashing back would only cause more harm. David was already suffering and he needed to focus on being restored.

P.S. Join me this Saturday, November 19th at John 3:16 Christian Bookstore in Lanham, Md from 1-4pm for their anniversary celebration as I will be signing books and hugging necks!! Photos will be taken by Lisa J. Monroe of Photographic Expressions. It's a great gift for friends and family!!

No comments:

Post a Comment